Behram Yasht is in praise of a ‘mazdadhate’ meaning a giver of knowledge. Knowledge which assists us to live in the way and within the Law of Ahura Mazda; and thereby vanquish all evil from within and around us and make us impervious to hurt and harm. In the Behram Yasht this omniscient knowledge is described metaphorically to take on different forms from the gentle breeze and growing over time into a great invincible warrior. The ten Kardas of the Behram Yasht speak in metaphors of the growing strength of the knowledge given by Behram eternally safeguarding from all harm, the true believer and practitioner of Asha and Ashoi (rectitude) the Natural, Eternal Law of Ahura Mazda brought down to us by Zarathustra —– the ‘Ahuirish Jarthutrish’. Writers have often remarked that the ten forms of knowledge correspond to the ten avatars of Vishnu in the Puranas. I’d say, well, how different can the one and only truth and the greatest knowledge ever be?!
BEHRAM YASHT —- TRANSLITERATION
Greatness of Hormazd!
(Pray Ashem Vohu)
In the name of Khoda Hormazd Sahib who promotes /gives progress!
May his splendour/majesty and a u r a (khoreh) increase!
Eternally victorious and vanquisher of enemies, Behram Yazad (the energy of Knowledge), beautiful celestial, ceaseless helper, come to my aid!
In this world, all the evil thoughts I may have brought to my mind, ill words that I may have spoken, bad deeds that I may have done, those that I have induced or I have begun or that I have encouraged — those sins of thoughts, of words, of deeds, of my body and soul, of this world, of the next world— for these I am remorseful and abstain from them, I do penance for these by observing the three intrinsic goodness ( good thoughts good words good deeds).
(Pray ‘Fravaraane Mazdsyasno’) translation on http://www.mumbaiblogg.com/zoroastrian-zen/avesta-translations/sarosh-baaj-translation/)
1) Reverence to Behram, emanated from Hormazd!
Asked Zoroaster of Hormazd:
“Hormazd, from who emanated the spirit of bounty /progress during our sojourn in the corporeal world, giver of the spirit of purity/Eternal Law/Tao,
who is the most brilliant/brightest among the venerable energies (Mino Yazads)?”
Then said Hormazd, “Behram, the giver of knowledge, O Zoroaster of the Spitmaan family!”
2) “For this (to give bounty/progress) /for him (one sojourning on this earth), Behram, the giver of knowledge (mazdadhate), first takes wing in the form of the zephyr ( a soft, great joy-giving wind) the giver of knowledge (mazdadhate); having good luster/radiance/gloss/brilliance (noor) of goodness, mazdadhate; keeping the light of spiritual strength (*khoreh), mazdadhate; remedies / cures for the physical body and also having great strength.
3) Then, therein is the greatest might/power of triumphant aggression amongst strengths/powers of triumphant aggression (irresistible aggressive force);
Amongst those who smite resistance (**Verethre), the most successful/ victorious to smite resistance;
Amongst those having k h o r e h, the holder of the strongest khoreh;
Amongst the donors/dispensers of gifts, I am the greatest donor/dispenser/receptacle of gifts;
Amongst benefits/profits/welfare/ advantage, I am the most beneficial/advantageous;
Amongst the remedies /cures I am the most efficacious remedy/ cure;
4) Thus, all ills will be vanquished; all that causes pain/harm, of the demigods/demons (div), of mortals (mashyanamcha), of wizards (yaathvaam), of fairies, of despots/ tyrant (saathraam), of those who refuse to see the truth despite having good eyes (kaoyam), those who refuse to hear the truth despite having good ears ((karafanamcha).
5) For his brilliant light and majesty, thus I worship him with praise/reverence which brings him eminence. With the ritual #Baresman, Behram, emanated from Hormazd, we venerate/ propitiate/worship in accordance with the first Laws of Ahura Mazda.
(Pray ‘Yange Hatem’)
*KHOREH (Pazend) = (Avesta) Khvarenangh. Light/halo/aura/glory stemming from the spiritual strength built in sages and holy individuals; their faces radiate a brightness (noor or halo), which is the extension of their Khoreh.
**VERETHRE = literally meaning “smiting of resistance” against the Law, which is the hypostasis (underlying-state) of ‘victory’. Therefore, Behram/Verethregano is also translated as Victorious.
# BARESMAN: The Baresman is the sacred bundle of twigs we see in frescos and pictures of religious worship. The barsam is considered “a conduit for the archetypal principles and powers to manifest their presence and receive the offerings.” it is a ritual necessity to solemnize religious ceremonies.