RODBETOR SALAD (BEETROOT SALAD) – QUICK N EASY DIET RECIPIE
Beetroot salad (Rodbettor Salad) is quick and easy Swedish Salad, an absolutely delicious diet recipe for the first time cooks. Every time I have served it, it has been a resounding success and it so easy to make. There are many variations of this salad (given at the end), BUT this is my favourite.
Goes with everything; especially well with curries, hot spicy food, roasts, fish dishes and cold meat. It is a Great addition to your meal or accompaniment to your sandwich.
Serves: Two persons
Actual salad making time: 5 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Horse Radish 1 or radish 4;
Lime juice of ½ lime;
Salt to taste;
Pepper to taste;
A pot full of water for boiling.
MAKING THE SALAD:
Julienne the radish (as in the instructions below)
Add salt, pepper and juice of ½ a lime and mix
Dice the boiled beetroot (instructions for boiling, below)
Mix the diced beetroot and julienned radish in a bowl.
Cover the bowl and chill. Serve.
HOW TO COOK THE BEETROOT AND PREPARE RADISH:
1. Take 5 moderate size beetroots. Avoid very large ones as they could be fibrous and thus spoil your dish and are hard to cook.
2. Cut off the stalks and leaves, if any. Leave the skin on.
3. Put the beetroot in a large boiling pot; fill with enough water to stand an inch or two above the beetroot. Add a pinch of sugar or 1//2 tea spoon of jagary or any other natural sugar. Place the pot on a high flame to boil. (If you have an electric steamer, steam the beetroot. It tastes a 100 times better).
4. In the mean time, scrape the upper surface of the radish to clean it.
5. Then halve it round the middle. Further, Cut the two halves length wise. You now have 4 pieces. Cut all four into thin strips (juliennes), as fine as possible.
6. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime on it, add a sprinkling of a couple of pinches of salt and pepper, mix and leave aside.
7. Now, check to see if the beetroot is done. To check whether the beetroot is fully cooked, poke the beetroot with a knife. The knife must easily slide all the way in without having to force it at any stage.
8. Once the beetroot is well cooked, remove the pot from the flame. Spoon out the beetroot and let it cool.
9. Once cool, peel the beetroot and dice then bright red flesh into your salad bowl.
10. Taste the radish you had put aside. Adjust seasoning (Taste for salt n pepper)
11. Add the radish juliennes to the diced beetroot.
12. Mix, chill and serve.
You can replace:
The boiled and diced beetroot by pickled beetroot. This is acceptable all over Europe. In this case eliminate the lime juice from the above recipe as the pickled beetroot is sour enough;
The radish with red onions;
Lime juice with your favourite vinegar;
Dress the salad with one table spoon each of crème fraiche and mayonnaise or to your taste;
You can add:
Green apples to the salad; again reduce or eliminate the lime juice. The apples are tart;
Pickled gherkins and dill; again eliminate the lime juice;
A spoon of Dijon Mustard, (remember it is sour) chopped chives and dill.